Monday, October 3, 2016

The power of positive thinking..... how to have constant energy

So now that summer is over and things are calming down a little bit I found some time to read some more of my book.  Here is the next chapter I read..... Chapter 3.

I think everyone struggles with energy let alone constant energy.   Well my kids don't seem to have a problem with it.... so maybe the key is to just play all day long and have no worries in the world.  I think partly that is true.  Kids are able to do what they love.  My daughter Lexi loves to color and anything to do with animals so when she gets home from school she is always wanting to color her animal coloring book.  This makes her so happy and she is really getting good at coloring.  She is passionate about it.  She has covered our fridge multiple times with these awesome pictures.   She has so much energy to keep coloring for hours.  

Many people are tired and have no energy because they are just not interested in anything.  I read that and thought that is true for me anyways.  When I have a new hobby I am very energetic when I get to work on it.  I find that energy because I am excited about it.  If we don't find something we love then we have no desire to keep moving and do it.  He talks about staleness in life and how if we just go about our boring monotonous life it gets old and we lose energy.  As humans we need to have new things and switch it up.  Add new things in our our routines.  We don't need to completely change it just add a new step or switch the order up.

He relates a story about a college professor, he was one of the best.  After years of teaching he began to lose his teaching ability and everyone noticed something was off.  The board of trustees called him and and said we are giving you 6 months all expenses paid, full salary, and a cabin.  The only catch was that he had to devote himself to completely renew his energy and strength.  They said he would take just one book... the bible.  His daily routine should be a walk, fishing and some light garden work.  He would read the bible three times in that six months.  He said I believe that if a man spends 6 months in the outdoors fishing, digging in the earth and reading the bible you will be come a new man.
He reports that he adjusted to life and found a whole new library within the bible itself and he quite enjoyed his time up at the cabin.  After 6 months he came back "a person with compelling power",  he had his old time energy renewed, and his zest for life was back.

I think how nice would that be to be able to experience that type of relaxation.  I would like just a day of relaxing and being at the spa or something.  haha.  I really would miss my kids and family a lot unless they all got to come with me for the 6 months.

He talks about how we THINK we feel has an effect on how we actually do feel physically.  I totally agree if I can get in a good mood and make myself think things are great then I start to feel better physically.  Our minds are so powerful.  He talks about thought discipline.  It take a lot of work to control what we think if we aren't careful.  I struggle with this because I am a worrier and I find when I start to worry and my thoughts start to play out every possible bad thing that can happen.  If I just let it go its natural course it gets bad, and then I worry about even more. My anxiety starts to really get up there, but if I stop it and distract my thoughts it changes.  I try to think of positive things that can happen or just think about something totally different and that generally helps.  It is hard to change that train of thought though, it takes some serious practice.

Another one of the ways he talks about getting energy is to pray to God  "Dear God,  You are the source of all energy, you are the source of the energy in the sun, in the atom, in all flesh, in the blood stream, and in the mind. I hereby draw energy from you as an illimitable source."  Then practice believing that you receive energy.  Keeping in tune with God will make this easier.

"The more you lose yourself in something bigger than yourself, the more energy you will have.  You don't have time to think about yourself and get bogged down in your emotional difficulties."    When I read this I thought that is a good reason that I think in the LDS church we are given callings to serve others and keep us busy in the work of not thinking about ourselves.  I love this.


 I would love to have energy like this little kid.  It seems like he always had energy even when he is tired, and he is adorable.

Once again I have learned a lot of new ways to help myself receive more energy for those days where I am lacking.  They happen more often than I would like.   I know it will take a lot of practice and patience to help learn these skills, but it will all be worth it.  Little by little, step by step.


No comments:

Post a Comment