Thursday, October 27, 2016

Meals I snuck my kefir into this month

I like to sneak kefir into things because then it keeps us healthy haha.  We always have plenty of kefir, and I usually don't have ricotta cheese or sour cream on hand so this makes one less trip to the store.    Which in turn helps us save $ because then I don't buy stuff we don't really need.  I have really been trying to save money lately and so I have tried to be really good at making meals.  I get lazy and forgetful and then we end up eating out.  Not good for anyone and making dinner makes me feel like a better mom and wife anyways.


So here are some meals that I used kefir in this week.  I made shepherds pie and I usually make potatoes with the potato pearls from the cannery.  Since I had a bunch of real potatoes that were going to be going bad soon I decided to make mashed potatoes the old fashioned delicious way.  Instead of creaming them with milk, I used kefir.  I know that making it hot or mixing it with hot will kill a lot of the good probiotics in it.  I figure either way its still better than sour cream or milk.
It was delicious and no one even suspected it haha.

The second meal I sneakily made was meatball pasta sauce stuff.  I got the recipe off the back of the meatballs from costco.  It used spinach and so I said sure lets try it.  Jared is awesome to try new stuff.  I mixed it up in the blendtec and it called for ricotta cheese..... who really keeps that on hand?  No one  so they make a special trip to the store for it..... well not me I pull out my awesome kefir and walaahh.... done!!!  It was so good everyone loved this meal.  The kids are really picky about trying new things but they tried this and they ended up liking it.
I actually made the left over meat balls with normal spaghetti sauce and noodles later and Max said but I liked the green one better,  ok I don't mind putting more spinach in your food, not a problem.



Then the third item I made was muffins that called for sour cream.  I do not like sour cream so we never have it and since I have been growing kefir I don't ever buy it because I know how well it can be replaced with good old kefir.  So there you go and the muffins tasted great.

I love finding ways to use this kefir and make us a little bit healthier.   Also in turn I save money by not going to the store and buying that extra sour cream, or ricotta cheese.  It is not cheap.  We make a lot of lasagna and I like to add it in there too.  We of course use the kefir in our smoothies we do.  Its even better when its made from raw  milk its awesome.  I'm sure I will come up with some more random places to replace things for kefir.


No comments:

Post a Comment