Thursday, June 2, 2016

The power of positive thinking.... Believe in yourself!

I bought the book "The power of positive thinking" for Christmas for my husband.  We like to read books together.  I didn't even know there was a book called that and one day I just googled it and it came up.


When I took my hypnobabies home study course for the birth of my 3rd child, I learned more about believing in yourself and really began to believe this more.   Part of the course was to listen to a cd everyday at least once a day that just played 56 minutes of positive affirmations.   This lady on the cd would talk about the whole process of pregnancy and preparing for the birth of your baby and everything positive about it.  She never said anything negative at ALL.   I loved this because personally I was struggling with thinking positive about my future birth and being able to do it naturally.  So this really helped me to believe.

But in order for it to really get into my mind and brain I had to take the words and really believe it.  I had to think them all day.  I really believe that when you hear more and more positive things you start to believe them yourself.  Same thing with negative if you hear negative all the time you start to believe all of it.   This is why its so important to choose the people you associate with and choose the people that will lift you up and build that positive attitude in yourself.

The first chapter in this book and also the first step to positive thinking is to Believe in Yourself.  This may be a hard thing for some people.  They have been told by others or themselves that they can't do it. They can't do hard things.   Whenever my kids say I can't do that its too hard.  I say " You can do hard things!"   We have to believe to make it possible.  I really believe this is true.  I think it is paired with faith though, in the part that you have to actually take action to make it work.

The first chapter in this book talks all about believing in yourself.  "They do not believe that they have it in them to be what they want to be, and so they try to make themselves content with something less that that of which they are capable."  I think we all do this to some degree or another.  We need to push ourselves to be our best self.  Its hard, yes but we can do great things.  
"Attitudes are more important than facts" Dr. Karl Menninger a famous Psychiatrist said.   Attitudes are so important, they play such an important part in our happiness.  You can have the worst of luck and have so many things go wrong but if you have the right attitude and stay positive through it all, you will still enjoy life amidst all of the troubles.

" One of the most powerful concepts, one which is a sure cure for a lack of confidence is the thought that God is actually with you and helping you.  This is one of the simplest teachings in religion. "  "No other idea is so powerful in developing self- confidence as this simple belief when practiced.  To practice it simply say "God is with me; God is helping me; God is guiding me."  I love this because I know that this is true and that God is helping me whether is a good or bad day, He is there.  He knows what I struggle with and what my strengths are.  He knows me better than I know myself.  Just myelf I can do somethings but I just need to remember that with him I can do anything.   That is where self confidence can come from.

I sit here trying to think of an experience I have had where I did something that I had previously thought I couldn't.  My sister has always been a big runner and I liked doing triathlons because I love swimming.  We signed up to do a half marathon together, I have never really liked running until I started training for this half marathon.    I was really good at training for this one because I hadn't had any kids yet so I had time.  Jared would run with me sometimes.  I found it calming and relaxing to go running for long runs.  I began to really like it.   A few weeks before the race I began to feel sick during my runs and I thought oh no.  What is wrong with me?   My race is so soon.
Come to find out I was pregnant with my first baby.   I had some pretty good nausea going on.  This made it really hard to run with.  I was determined to run this race and finish.  The day came and I ran the race and enjoyed it I didn't feel sick until I finished and then I proceeded to throw up.   But I had done it! I finished my first half marathon and I was so proud of my self.  I had done something I didn't think I could ever do.  Run 13.1 miles.  It sure empowered me to do more and have more confidence in myself.

STAY POSITIVE AND BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment