Thursday, November 3, 2016

The power of positive thinking: How to create your own happiness

Abraham Lincoln said that "People were just about  as happy as they made up their minds to be."  You can decide if your happy or not.  You don't always get to decide what happens to you but you can always choose how you react and that is where most of us think we are "made" to be happy or unhappy.   It is a conscious choice we make everyday and even within that day if we will be happy. We can develop that habit of being happy by practicing happy thoughts. If an unhappy thought comes immediately stop and eject it out and replace it with a happy thought.  It takes a lot of work to be able to have that mindset but who doesn't want to be happy?

 "One of the most simple and basic of such principles is that of human love and goodwill.  It is amazing what happiness a sincere expression of compassion and tenderness will induce. "

  How many times have you been having a not so good day and someone compliments you or does something nice for you?  It totally changes your day and your attitude.  Just think if we could be that positive happy influence in other peoples lives and even our own.  I have found when I dwell on my own "problems or struggles"  I get sad and depressed.  On the other hand when I am trying to find ways to give service to others, things seem to look brighter and I also feel better.    A great way to create happiness in our lives is to practice love, pure love of Christ.

 "The way to happiness is to keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry.  Live simply, expect little, give much.  Fill your life with love.  Scatter sunshine. Forget self, think of others. Do as you would like to be done by.  Try this for a week and you will be surprised."

   Just reading that I thought  ..... I have a lot of work to do to overcome this natural man and be able to increase my giving and scattering sunshine.  Its hard to overcome the expect little and give much.  We think I have been giving so much and I should get something out of it right?   Also as I was reading this I thought this is a perfect description of Christ.  He was all of this, he was always serving and giving everything never expecting anything but for us to follow him, and love everyone.

Matthew 22:39 Thou shalt love thy neighbor as they self.   This is the second greatest commandment.  We need to love everyone.... This is no easy task for most of us.  This takes a lot of charity and love to see people as our Heavenly Father would.  It will totally change our perspective of people when we can look at them through our Heavenly Fathers eyes.   Something I read somewhere is that we shouldn't be judged or judge someone on their worst moments or mistakes.  We should always look for the best.  We get new chances everyday to repent and become a better person.  We want others to look at us that way so why can't we look at others that way?   If we can stop comparing ourselves to those around us our lives would be a lot easier.  I know I suffer from this, I see what other moms are doing and I think I'm good if my kids get dressed and eat some days.

This all boils down to making our own happiness.  How much do we want it?  What are we willing to do to get it?  We need to humble ourselves and get out there and do service for others and get those happy thoughts running through our minds.  We make or break our day everyday.  We choose how to react to things that come our way.  Lets be the happy people that spread that sunshine to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment