Monday, November 7, 2016

Trying to minimalize in our home


During the course of a normal day I clean up about 1000 toys.  Every year between the start of school and Christmas I like to go through all of our toys and purge.  I know that they will most likely get some new toys and so I like to make room for them by cleaning out.  I love that I can sell most of them and then use that money to buy Christmas for the kids.  I love getting rid of all of the little broken toys that have gotten pushed to the bottom of the toy box or under the couch.  It just feels good to clean out..   I love the idea of the kids picking one toy to donate to a toy drive or sub for santa type thing.  That way they can learn and participate in the Christmas Spirit.
Along with going through toys I have been getting out the new season of clothes and putting the summer stuff away.  I went down to the storage room where I keep the kids clothes.  I can't believe that we take up a whole wall just in kids clothes.  I KNOW I had too many baby girl clothes so I went through all of them and got rid of a whole big black garbage bag.


  I had my brother that has a baby girl come take what they wanted and then I'll let my sister that has a 1 year old come look.  Then I will take what is left and sell it at a local consignment sale.  I went through my boys clothes too but I didn't seem to have as many.   I have gotten rid of a lot of clothes that they hadn't worn because I don't want to store all of that. I also haven't bought or acquired as many boys clothes as I did girls.  They still have plenty and if they need a shirt or two that is fine, I'll find some cheap at the consignment sale.

I used to store the clothes in the vacuum seal bags at our old house because that was the only way we had room to store them all.   I ordered some more and started using them again.  I can fit two sizes  in a big tub when they are vacuumed out.  That is progress for sure.  I just finished the other day finally organizing it all again.  It feels great.

Now I just need to go through the boxes of kitchen stuff I haven't opened since we moved over a year ago.  I'm sure there is stuff in there I can get rid of since I haven't used it in a year.  I really want to keep everything at a minimum and try to not let it get cluttered up again.  A lot of it is the corelle and glass stuff that I don't want to use when we have little kids.  I know exactly what will happen to it.  So that will probably stay in a box for at least a few more years.

I also went through my clothes and have a separate post about that and the process I used,  it was hard.  It feels so good though to have a cleaner closet.

I love cleaning out and getting things organized.  When we moved I loved finding new places for things and organizing everything into a new to us house.  It was so fun for me, because I enjoy cleaning things out and organizing.  I know call me crazy.  Its funny how when you have a space you make it work and then when you get a bigger space you seem to fill it up.  We didn't have a garage at our old house and so we had to fit everything outdoors in our little shed.  When we closed it up for winter it was too the brim by the 6th year we lived there.  Now we fill a shed here with some extra room and our garage.  Granted we have bought some bigger yard stuff since we have a much larger yard now.

I really just want to simplify my life and one of the first steps is to get rid of stuff we don't need so here is to de junking and getting rid of all of the stuff we don't "need".


No comments:

Post a Comment