Monday, August 1, 2016

Nasty garden pests ate my plants.......


My garden was doing pretty well even after we had a terrible hail storm that dented and bruised all of our apples and apricots.  It got some of my garden but most of it was ok and just grew back the leaves.  
I noticed that my zuchinni, that is always so easy to grow was getting eaten and in a few days it was left with this


So sad zuchinni the easiest thing to grow and everyone tries to give it away and can't.  Well I guess I"ll be the one wanting zuchini this year.  
Then the little pests moved to my giant pumpkins...... the kids are really sad about this one.  


It started there on the right side eating a few leaves away.  I later found a ton of eggs and these squash bugs all over them.  



I went out a few days later and the whole right side was dead and those nasty bugs were all over it.  Not happy....NOT HAPPY..... I had done some research and heard that Diatomacious Earth will kill squash bugs and it can be used for other stuff too so I had ordered some from good old Amazon.  



Quite a large box really hoping it would work and I could save my pumpkin plant.   



Its a white powdery substance. It says to just sprinkle it on the leaves and ground.  So that is exactly what I did.




I went back out a day later and it was ok not worse but not getting any better. I thought ok good.  There were still squash bugs everywhere on the plant so I didn't water it that day so it wouldn't take all the powder off.  I went out the next day and its all limp, not dead.  Its still green but its all limp  so I watered it and I went out the next day.............



It had gone completely limp and it was turning brown.   I had lost it!!!!  Booo   These squash  bugs had won.   I did further research because apparently the Diatomacious earth didn't do a thing.   I guess you have to squash the bugs and get the eggs off with duct tape.  
I have never had a problem with gardening before like this.  I am glad they haven't gone on to the rest of my garden.  I have my blackberries right next to it and they haven't touched them.  Thank goodness.  I am still really sad though the kids really wanted to grow their own pumpkins.  
I guess I have some work to do for next years garden I know what doesn't work.  I"ll just have to try squashing them next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment