Thursday, August 11, 2016

Cheese making....

Kefir cheese really?!?   
In one of the groups I'm in on facebook a girl showed me how to make kefir cheese.  I seem to have enough kefir to go around so I wanted to try and maybe it would be something healthy the kids would eat.  So you make the kefir like normal and then when its ready you put a flour sack towel lined in a strainer and let it strain through for 24 hours.  Some people do it in the fridge and some keep it out.  I find it continues to sour if you leave it out.  


Its a dark picture but this is the kefir in the flour sack towel and its thickening up.  You can also use a coffee filter to strain them in.  


Then I dumped it into a Tupperware and then I use it on my bagels and my sandwiches.  I haven't used it for much else yet.  You can substitute it for cream cheese in recipes.  Less fat, and your getting great probiotics.  


My kids aren't too fond of it just straight on bagels but if its on a sandwich they can't really tell. I need to make it after it has fermented for just 24 hours or so and see if it helps the sourness for the kids.   What I really like about this is that I can make it at home and If I run out of cream cheese I don't have to run to the store, which I dread doing with the kids.  Helps make life a little bit easier for me.  I am also trying to get all the probiotics that I can with the kids so we don't get sick.  


No comments:

Post a Comment