Thursday, July 28, 2016

My new kitchen appliance is awesome

I recently got an Excalibur dehydrator, its been waiting on my amazon wish list for a long time waiting for a good deal.  That day finally came and in perfect time for the beginning of harvest season.  I have been borrowing my moms just like it for months.  So I"m sure she will be glad to get hers back.

The first thing I used it for was apricot fruit leather.  I just used wax paper because that is what I had on hand and as soon as I took it out I remembered why it didn't work.  It just sticks to the paper and you can't get it off.  So I ended up ordering some teflon sheets that fit the trays perfect and you just wash them off with a wet rag and use again.  I love them.  The leather comes right off.


So first I washed my peaches off and then took the pit out and left skins on.  Blend them up until smooth.  


Then I pealed the mangos and squished the rest in.  I have the hardest time cutting mangos, but this way its awesome I get a lot more off when I can just squeeze it until all I have left is the weird pit.  Blend again until smooth or leave small chunks.  I then added spinach haha tricky mom.   



Then I dump out maybe 2-3 cups onto the teflon paper and spread it around with a spoon.  I then shake it around a little to even it out.  



I had extra tray space so I cut up some cantelope slices and dried those as well.  It's delicious.  





  I cut them in strips after and roll them up.  I put them in zip lock bags and then the kids can enjoy.  I put a few bags in the freezer because I have made quite a bit.  They say they will last 6 months in the freezer so well see.  I"m sure they won't last that long because we will eat them before that.

I did a few different mixtures of leather.  First I did apricot and mango since I got a bunch of mangos in my local fruit basket this week.   It was delicious.  I also did straight apricot and straight mango.
My next batch was peach with skins on, mango with a little spinach snuck in.  The kids will never know and they will be getting some great veggies too.

I really enjoy my new toy already.  I have so many plans with it.  I love that it can be used for so many different things.  I still need to flavor my almonds that I sprouted and froze.  I need to find a good recipe for it before I take the jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment