Thursday, July 14, 2016

The best present my Grandparents gave us

The older I am getting the more I am realizing how smart my grandparents and parents are.   My grandparents gave each of their grand children some money when they first bought their own home.  They wanted to help us get started and to buy something for the house with it.    We bought a house right as we got married, so we got the money as we were newlyweds.  I remember thinking I know exactly what I want to get... a sewing machine.  I knew my mom used hers a lot to fix things and she sewed a lot.  I did some research and I picked out the one I could afford.



Over the years I have used it so much and I really don't know how I would get by without a machine now.  I use it to fix things,  create fun things for my kids or to alter things to fit my kids.   

When I was pregnant with my first I spent the months before she was born making a quiet book.  I had looked up all sorts of fun ideas on pintrest and seeing other peoples books.  I had an idea of what I wanted.  I did not realize how time consuming it was to sew and design all of the pages the way I wanted.    I am so glad I made this before I had kids, I would never have time to do that now.  


Just this past little bit I altered a dress I bought for my daughter that was way too big in the shoulders and just sewed up the shoulders and now its great.  It also had come unsewed in the back so I quickly fixed that up.  It was so nice to be able to just pull out my sewing machine and carefully fix it.  
My sons shoes had come unstitched where the velcro fastened.  I just sewed it right back on instead of having to get new shoes.  





 

I also was able to make some suck pads for my kinderpack.  Ok I have made too many I love being able to switch them out and have new patterns.   I even tried to start a sewing business at one point and then after a few weeks realized I really didn't have time to attempt to make it work.  I did at least break even with the supplies I had bought.  I get some crazy ideas sometimes and then I don't realize it until later.  


I love finding time to play with my machine and use it.  I have many more projects in the works that I just need a few hundred hours to finish up.  I am grateful for the ability to sew and that my mom and sisters taught me how to be brave and try to fix or make things.  
I can't thank you enough Grandma and Grandpa for this sewing machine, it has been well worth the money spent.  It has earned its keep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment