Monday, April 25, 2016

Why sprout?

What exactly is sprouting and what are the benefits of it?

Sprouting is when you germinate seeds.   When this germination happens it eats up the starch in the grain, and now the grain has more protein and fiber.  Sprouting the grain also increases the vitamins  and minerals in the grain.  They are 100 times more nutritious for you once they have sprouted.   Another benefit of sprouting the grain is that it lowers the raffinose carbohydrate which is more commonly known as the gas and bloating when you eat beans and other legumes.   

First I tried to sprout garbanzo beans and they sprouted great I put them on my salads and they have a sort of bland taste.  When they are on a salad though its perfect.  
Next I tried flax seed and I couldn't get it to sprout it was just slimy.  I read about trying to sprout it in a terra cotta plate, the one that goes under the pot.  I am going to try it again because there are so many benefits to eating those sprouted flax seeds.

I sprouted some raw almonds that I got from Green Smoothie Girl.  I only soaked them overnight and they expanded and that was good enough. 




I then dried them in a food dehydrator below 106 degrees.  Drying them at the lower temperature allows them to keep all of those sprouting nutrients.   I also love the pop they have after they have been sprouted and dried.  I love how they taste.  




Then I was able to freeze the ones we wouldn't be eating right away.  Since I got 15 lbs of them I froze 2.5 bags the other half bag I sprouted and ate.  I have yet to season them.  Robyn has a few recipes I want to try I just haven't gotten around to it yet.



I have loved learning and trying new things in the sprouting world.  I am excited to try new seeds and grains.  Let me know if you have sprouted any and what was your experience with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment