Monday, May 2, 2016

What is Rejuvelac?

What in the world is rejuvelac?   
It is a fermented liquid made from sprouted grains.  When fermentation happens it becomes a good bacteria or a probiotic.  It helps you to be able to digest your food.  This is incredibly cheap to make because it takes water and any grains.  I use wheat because I have a whole 55 gallon barrel of it.  
I have been making milk kefir for quite some time so I wanted to try something different that didn't require me buying milk.    


I took my wheat and rinsed it off because who knows what is on the outside of the grains.  Its better to just wash and be safe.  


Then I filled the jar almost all the way with water.  I put 1 cup of wheat grains in.   I let it soak overnight so they absorb a lot of water.  ( that is my milk kefir next to it)





The next morning I drained the jar and rinsed them again.  I then let them sit for about 2 days, everyday I rotated and shook them up to air them out a little bit.   They began to sprout those little tails.  After about a day and a half or 2 days depending on how fast they sprout, I added water.  I filled it all the way up to the top.   Then I let it sit for two more days.  You can tell its fermenting because you will start to get bubbles.  If you gently swish the bottle back and forth bubbles will go up like they would with a carbonated drink.  




After the two days I drain the liquid that is now rejuvelac into another jar and refrigerate it.   I then dispose of my grains.  Some people say you can do a second batch with these same sprouted grains but it gets tricky.  There is a higher chance of it going bad so I don't risk it since I am still pretty new to this. You can put the grains out in your compost pile.   


This is a great way to still get that probiotic effect but not have the dairy of the milk kefir.  Plus this is really free because its just water and wheat grains.  

No comments:

Post a Comment