Thursday, December 10, 2015

Embarrassing grocery trip

I love everything about Winco except this one minor detail that seems to keep kicking me in the pants.  They don't accept credit cards....... You would think I would learn.   We used to live less than a mile from Winco and I LOVED it.  I frequently would forget my debit card and have a basket full of groceries and go to check out and realize all I had was my credit card.  Yes I use a credit card even though Dave Ramsey says not to.  It works for me and we pay it off every month no matter what!  Personal choice.   Anyway, so I would have to run home and they would "save" my groceries for me.
Today we were down visiting our Aunt Darce and I thought great we are so close to Winco I'm going to go grocery shopping while I'm down there and I can go alone.... a rare occurrence with three small children.  It has become a treat to go grocery shopping alone. I know who would have thought.   I parked the car to walk in and I get to the front doors and realize I left my debit card in the car like always, so I run back to the car and grab it.   I got everything on my list and I usually pick up a small treat for me when I shop alone but I didn't this time because I'm really trying to be healthier.
 I get to the check out stand and I am bagging my groceries and I swipe my card and put my pin in...... Your card is expired.  What?!?  I knew it was expiring soon because we got new cards a while ago that I activated.  Apparently this isn't that card.
 So she tries to run it again with the new expiration date.... no luck.   So I'm stuck with groceries and no card, and I'm a long way from home.  I never carry cash, I just don't like having a lot of cash.   So I luckily have some cash but not enough for what I had. So I embarrassingly start putting stuff back on the conveyor belt and she starts subtracting.
After getting about $20 of stuff back out of the cart the guy behind me says  keep the milk here is $2.  At this point I am beyond embarrassed and just want to shrink down and melt away.  I say thank you so much.  He just says pay it forward.  I proceed to pay for what I have enough cash for and walk out to my car.    I have never been on the receiving end of the pay it forward at the grocery store and man its hard, but so appreciated.  Even if it was just $2  Thank you to the man in line behind me at Winco today.  I will pay it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment