Thursday, December 22, 2016

Power of positive thinking... Two for one (8 & 9)

Two for one today.... I don't believe in defeat and How to break the worry habit.  I put two chapters in this post because I feel like a lot of it is repetitive and its just helping grind it into our minds.  Which is good because it takes different stories to help us see it in ways that we can adapt them into our lives.

I don't believe in defeat-  

This was a very positive and encouraging chapter.  He says if we practice believing that God is with us and that in combination with him.  We will have the power to handle whatever comes our way.    He goes on to say that most of our obstacles in our life are mental in character.  We imagine up things to be worse than they actually are, or we imagine up hurtles to have to jump to get to where we want.  People will say mine are not mental, mine are in fact very real.  That perhaps may be true but your attitude towards them is mental.  Our attitudes play a big part in how we, meaning our minds perceive them.
With God all things are possible.  We can imagine putting our problems in the Lords hands.  Handing them over to him.  We trust him completely to help us solve it and make it through whatever trial it is.  If we don't believe in defeat then we can't be defeated.  We will keep trying and trying harder and harder to accomplish whatever it is.  We will stay positive for that is what will get us through.  When we have a negative thought come in about defeat we have to counteract that and think a positive thing or two about that exact negative thought.  It will switch our brain to start to think positive about it.  We need to focus on the positive and that is how we will overcome defeat.


How to break the worry habit.....  This had my name written all over it.  I am a huge worrier.  You name it I have worried about it and having kids it is even worse.
He talks about some ways that we can help break these worry habits and one of them is to empty our mind daily.  He says the best time to do this is before bed which makes sense because our dreams usually come from things that we have thought about or subconsciously been on our mind.  Our dreams tend to absorb the last ideas that were in our mind.    So to empty our minds before bed will help our sleep habits.  To empty your mind you just think about pouring everything in your mind out, cleaning it all out.  Whether you think of sweeping it all our or like a dumpster dumping out.   Then we really have to think its empty, remember how powerful our minds are if we think it, it can be....  Its like when a child gets hurt and we kiss it better and it is.  I have done this and it seems to help me, it really helps to imagine an actual dumping of my thoughts or worries.

  Faith can always overcome fear.   If we pray and we say God is now protecting me and my loved ones from all harm. We won't have to worry about it.  "Worry is a destructive process of occupying the mind with thoughts contrary to Gods love and care"   He doesn't want us to worry, he wants us to be full of love and faith.  T
he more you worry the better you get at it and I have found that to be true.  Once I get worrying about something and playing it through my mind how badly something will go, I keep making it worse and worse.   I have to think of something positive or listen to some good music to distract my mind from the worry I was doing.
When my husband is out of town it is the worst.  I hate sleeping alone or knowing I am alone all night.  I imagine up the worst things to happen.  I don't know where it comes from.  This is one reason I can not watch the news, there are so many bad things they report and I don't need to encourage or give my mind new ways to worry.   I try to read my scriptures or a good uplifting book before bed.

I know there are so many things to worry about and I have just tried to think positively about everything.  If I have a worry thought come into my mind I say is that really realistic or am I just imaging the worst.  Most of the time I'm just imagining and nothing is ever bad.  I know that if I just have faith and put my trust in Heavenly Father each day that things will work out.  If something does go bad as it sometimes does.  I have to remember everything happens for a reason.  There is something I can learn and I need to learn to lean on Him for help.  This has helped me a lot with my worry.  It takes constant practice, I have had this habit for a long time and I know it will take a lot of work to slowly overcome and be better at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment