Monday, September 19, 2016

Elderberry syrup and gummy bears



Elderberry syrup is an excellent source of antioxidants.  They really help in the cold and flu season.  I bought a pack of dried elderberries from Amazon last fall and never got around to making the syrup.  So finally a year later I am attempting it.  I got a recipe off pintrest from the wellness mama.  


They berries come like this. They grow in bunches like grapes and they are small so when they are dried they are even smaller.  


So you soak them on a low boil for 45 min so they get reconstituted and get the juice out of them.


Then you add the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and let that simmer for a while.  



Then I strained out the berries and let it cool off a little before I added the honey.  


  

Honey is so good for you especially if you are able to get raw.  Honey can also help with low energy, sleep problems even seasonal allergies.   So its great to add into this. It replaces the sugars as well.  I have really been trying to use raw honey and agave instead of sugar in a lot of things.   











This first batch of syrup I made was super spicey I think it was too much cinnamon so I made another batch with no spices and just the honey.  Then I mixed the two batches together to even it out.  Its still a little strong but doable.   So I decided that in order to actually get the kids to eat this I would have to make it appealing.  I saw also from the same lady she made them into gummy bears.  My kids love gummy bears so I thought its worth a shot.  I got some gelatin and followed the recipe again and they turned out great.  I only had one gummy bear mold so I had to just make some blobs on a plate as well.  Those will be mine.  


They seem to like them.  They aren't like normal gummy bears they kind of just fall apart in your mouth but it does the trick.  We are going to add this remedy into our winter fighting season. 
Next time I make it I will have to majorly adjust the recipe for my liking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment