Thursday, September 22, 2016

Apples, Apples and more Apples make delicious butter

We have quite a few apple trees in the back field but most of them didn't produce this year because we pruned them so much this spring.  So hopefully next year.  My neighbor had a ton of delicious apples though.  I still had plenty of apple sauce from two years ago and last year so I decided to try something new.  
I had never heard of apple butter and my sister in law had made it last year and so I went to my trusty friend Pintrest and found an awesome recipe that didn't have sugar just honey.   So I put it to the test.  



One of the other reasons I wanted to do apple butter is that one of the recipes I looked at didn't peel the apples so I was all for it.  That makes it soo much easier.  We had a huge hail storm that damaged everything so there were a lot of spots I had to cut out still so to not have to peel was awesome.  I just washed, cored and sliced them up.  




I threw them in the crockpot and let them sit for a few hours and they softened up.  I borrowed my mother in laws crockpot hers is twice my size so I had mine and hers going.  It made about 3-4 pints per small crockpot.  


I put them into my blendtec so it would be smooth with leaving the skins on.   It whipped up so good and thick some batches I had to add some water.  Then I added nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and honey.   I blended it up so it got mixed in evenly and then poured it into the jars.  


It tasted so good warm.  I'm sure its tasty cooler as well.  I am excited to have this all winter.   It will be delicious. I have quite a few and hope to be able to give a few away as a neighborhood Christmas gift.  


No comments:

Post a Comment